[vtk-developers] Python and rpath: a fix

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Thu Nov 20 12:24:26 EST 2003

Hi,

Bill Hoffman brought to my attention a change that Yves(?) has made
for the Apple Python build to get around the rpath related ValueError
problem with VTK-Python.  Essentially, the fix creates a new
libvtk*PythonD.so that goes into CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX/lib/vtk.  The
libvtk*Python.so Python module only builds the vtk${KIT}PythonInit.cxx
and links to the libvtk*PythonD.so.  This means that rpath is no
longer an issue because the linker will always see the same
libvtk*PythonD.so library being used when the VTK Python modules are
imported.

Two questions before I go ahead and make the changes.

 1. Are there any objections?  Yves (or whoever made the APPLE
    changes), why wasn't this made the default?

 2. It would be nice if all platforms were treated the same way, so
    should this change be used on Win32 also even though its not an
    issue there?

Feedback appreciated.  FYI, I might make the changes this weekend or
the next.

Thanks!

cheers,
prabhu