[vtk-developers] VTK 4.2.4 and VTK 5

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Fri Nov 14 09:48:17 EST 2003

So here is the plan for handling VTK5 based on feedback we have received so
far. Since the transition to VTK5 will contain significant changes we are
creating a separate repository for VTK4 so that people who want to move
forward with VTK4 can do so. We have created VTK4 and VTK4Data CVS
repositories as:

cvs -d :pserver:yourname at www.vtk.org:/cvsroot/VTK co VTK4

cvs -d :pserver:yourname at www.vtk.org:/cvsroot/VTK co VTK4Data

These repositories are starting from the VTK 4.2.4 version of VTK and are
designed to make it easy for people to continue using VTK version 4 into the
future. Between version 4.2.3 and version 4.2.4 we have added some of the
new functionality that is in the CVS version of VTK. This VTK4 tree will be
like a CVS version of VTK4.2 that people can do development on (Kitware
folks will stay out of this tree). Feel free to try out the VTK4 repository
and offer comments.

The main CVS tree for VTK will be where the VTK5 development takes place. It
will be done in stages with intermediate releases such as 4.4, 4.6, 4.8,
which will mainly be dividing points between key changes to help people
incrementally move to VTK 5.0.

The release-4-2 branch of the main VTK tree will also continue to exist as
the formal VTK 4.2 branch on which generally only bug fixes will be made. I
do not anticipate anyone but myself committing changes to the release-4-2
branch of VTK. As additional bug fixes happen there may be a 4.2.5 release
etc. I do not anticipate keeping the VTK4 tree and the VTK 4.2 branch in
sync. Currently my view is that the VTK4 tree includes the option for people
to continue developing new classes etc. The vtk 4.2 branch is really only
for bug fixes so the two trees will likely diverge.

I imagine that some of the existing VTK dashboards will become VTK4
dashboards so that we can have some continuing testing on that source tree.
My guess for now is that they will show up on the main VTK dashboard much
like the VTK 4.2 branch dashboards show up but a separate dashboard could be
created if people feel that is the way to go.

So in summary

1) VTK 5 soon to be developed on the main tree
2) VTK 4.2 release continues to be a branch on the main tree
3) VTK4 tree supports future development and expansion of VTK 4.2 for those
who don't want to go to VTK 5 but cannot stick with the 4.2 release

Comments, Questions, Flames, etc ???

Thanks
Ken