[vtk-developers] [ARB?] Plans for the vtkGL2PSExporter class.

Sebastien BARRE sebastien.barre at kitware.com
Sat May 31 13:53:30 EDT 2003

Hi

At 5/31/2003 01:38 PM, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:

>  3. The class does not yet support text properly.  This will require
>  modifications to vtkTextActor.

Why ?

>   This could be somewhat involved.  I
>  dont have any code for this yet but I believe Goodwin has a working
>  implementation.  My plan is to first look at Goodwin's code and see
>  how he does it.  What I'd like to eventually do is possibly toggle a
>  global flag in the TextActor so that when gl2ps is generating output
>  all TextActors will call gl2psText with the appropriate information.
>  I dont know if this is workable or not.

I do not know if it's the right approach to add an ivar to vtkTextActor
that is so specific to that exporter, but I have the feeling here you mean
mapper instead of actor, don't you ? The text mappers is where the real
rendering code is (now unified in vtkOpenGLFreetypeTextMapper), and I'm not
even sure you want to go that deep since this mapper propagates calls to
the ftgl library, which issues glPixmap/glBitmap calls using the
pixmap/bitmap rendered by the freetype lib from a set of vectorized fonts
embeded in VTK. In any case, the text that is rendered on the screen is
image-based as soon as it goes out of freetype, so I'm not sure it will be
of any help for a Postscript exporter since you might end up with something
very blocky (unless you render at the printer resolution, but you will have
to work that out).

--
Sebastien Barre