[vtk-developers] ARB - vtkDICOMImageReader

Sebastien BARRE sebastien.barre at kitware.com
Mon Mar 31 13:51:57 EST 2003

At 3/31/2003 01:34 PM, Turek, Matthew W (Research) wrote:

>Yes, it is a pain to do anything DICOM.  However, I already have to support
>ITK's DICOMParser which will be the same for this vtk class.

OK.

> > - Does this class support Encapsulated Syntax (JPEG for example) ? What
> > kind of scalars does it support (and how are you handling the Shift/Scale
> > issue) ?
>
>There is no support yet for any Encapsulated Syntax (JPEG, RLE, etc).

OK. This can be done later I guess by patching vtklibjpeg to support
lossless (the patch is out there) and build it twice to support 8 and 12 bits.

>The DICOMParser does the shift scale for you and converts to the "right"
>data type based on the types of the shift and scale.  For example, a float
>shift/scale will produce float output data.  Integer shift scale and integer
>data produces integer output.

Great.

> > - How are you handling the orientation/position of a slice ?
>
>I'm assuming slices perpendicular to the z-axis right now.  This can be
>"upgraded" later.

I guess so. Since Direction Cosines are in the DICOM file already,
vtkImageReslice can probably be used for those people who needs that
feature right now. At the end of the day, in-place re-orientation is the
way to go since medical stacks can be huge and you definitely want to avoid
twice the memory consumption.

>By the way, my test suite includes the following files from your medical
>imaging samples http://www.barre.nom.fr/medical/samples/

Great :)

>         CT-MONO2-16-ort

Do you handle the Pixel Padding Value ? (i.e. remove the mask ?)

>         OT-PAL-8-face

This one is PAL though.

>         US-RGB-8-esopecho
>         US-RGB-8-epicard

And those are RGB.

>         MR-MONO2-8-16x-heart
>         NM-MONO2-16-13x-heart
>         US-MONO2-8-8x-execho

And those are multi-frames. What do you do ? Pile them up ?

Sebastien

--
Sebastien Barre