[vtk-developers] vtkLODProp3D GetActors

Blue, Russell S (Research) blue at crd.ge.com
Tue Jun 10 13:56:07 EDT 2003

Hey folks,

There seems to be some inconsistency on what the GetActors function in
vtkLODProp3D should do and/or a question of why it works the way it does.

At first, based on the description in vtkLODProp3D, I thought it would
return a collection of actors, one for each LOD.  Of course, looking at the
implementation, I see it does something much different... returns a single
actor apparently for picking related purposes.  I've already exchanged some
emails with Lisa on the matter, and she noted that it is a proc which might
be used within an interactor style, such as for changing between wireframe
and surface, in which case you wouldn't get what you might expect (each LOD
either wireframe or surface, not some LODs surface, others wireframe).

So... while my selfish reason for originally pinging Lisa is no longer
needed (I liked what I thought it was going to do... return actors for each
LOD, but decided to go a different route), the inconsistency may be worth
some discussion or consideration...

Rusty