[vtk-developers] vtkGL2PSExporter: need feedback.

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Thu Jan 2 12:12:56 EST 2003

Hello Folks,

In general I think that for 3D rendering, using vtkWindowToImageFilter
with a magnification of around 3 will give you high quality images. I
can see that for some line drawings or solid filled contours a gl2ps
approach would result in smaller files and higher quality output. This
leads me to a couple questions.

1) is the file size using vtkWindowToImageFilter an issue? If so, is it
possible that we could modify our postscript writer to write out some
RLE version of the raster etc? If so, that would allow for high res
output without large file sizes.

2) Is the benefit of having ps output (primarily for plots and 2d
contours) worth the complexity and dependencies of adding the gl2ps
code?

My gut reaction is that I would rather see the postscript writer to
produce smaller files using RLE or something like that rather than use
gl2ps. But I don't know how complex adding gl2ps into VTK would be.

Ken