[vtk-developers] interesting problem with vtkObject Update() [FIX + PATCH, please apply]

Charl P. Botha c.p.botha at its.tudelft.nl
Wed Feb 19 17:49:29 EST 2003

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 05:41:10PM -0500, Lisa Avila wrote:
> This looks like a good fix  - but I say that hesitantly since I always fear
> changing in the pipeline behavior :-)

This is also one of my great fears, second only to my fear of dentists.  In
this case, it does look like it WAS the original intention of the creator of
vtkSource, but the resetting of the Updating variable got misplaced.

> bounds of some resulting data to be computed (which would cause a recursive
> update without requiring any GUI) so your fix seems good for this. Of
> course, this is just a band-aid on a much larger problem - it is quite easy
> to put things in the observers that causes crashes if you are not careful.

Agreed.  It's always possible to crash things if one is determined enough.
I do believe that this level of rudimentary loop protection is justified
however and I hope that the patch can be applied.

Thanks again for your time!
Charl