[vtk-developers] interesting problem with vtkObject Update()

Lisa Avila lisa.avila at kitware.com
Wed Feb 19 17:27:42 EST 2003

Hello Charl,

>1. Can this be considered a bug?
>2. Is there a way to lock the Update() method of a vtkObject?  This would of
>    course solve the problem above.

This problem is not limited to the Update method - any "loop" (entering the
same method twice in the call stack) would likely cause the same problem.
Recursive rendering is a common problem - and is usually the root cause of
your problem. We've run into this frequently in our GUI + VTK applications
and we handle it by having an application-level render method (and we are
sure that all paths to the lower renderwindow render method lead through
this one) and we protect that method from recursive processing. We also
take care with our observer relationships to ensure that no loops occur.

Locking the Update method of an object would not really solve your problem
since you would still have a recursive render (which is BAD!)

Lisa