[vtk-developers] recent Solution: Bug in SetRenderWindow(NULL) => still a bug?

dean.inglis at camris.ca dean.inglis at camris.ca
Tue Dec 9 19:28:38 EST 2003

Hi,

let me begin by saying looking at vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow makes
my head spin!  Mathieu Malaterre's checked in fix to the reported
bug creates a bug when using (admittedly not fully supported) two
Borland Render Window components in a Borland C++ Builder application.
The error I get occurs when the component's internal render window
calls Delete(), which in turn calls Finalize() wherein the following
errors occur(I peppered a few vtkDebug macros in my own checkout):

Debug: In c:\Builder\Sources\VTK\Rendering\vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow.cxx, line 74
vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow (01A9F02C): begin finalize

Debug: In c:\Builder\Sources\VTK\Rendering\vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow.cxx, line 88
vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow (01A9F02C): begin trying to MakeCurrent in Clean

ERROR: In c:\Builder\Sources\VTK\Rendering\vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow.cxx, line 220
vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow (01A9F02C): wglMakeCurrent failed in MakeCurrent(), error: The handle is invalid.

Debug: In c:\Builder\Sources\VTK\Rendering\vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow.cxx, line 90
vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow (01A9F02C): end trying to MakeCurrent in Clean

ERROR: In c:\Builder\Sources\VTK\Rendering\vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow.cxx, line 129
vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow (01A9F02C): wglMakeCurrent failed in Clean(), error: 6

Debug: In c:\Builder\Sources\VTK\Rendering\vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow.cxx, line 76
vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow (01A9F02C): end finalize

Debug: In c:\Builder\Sources\VTK\Common\vtkObject.cxx, line 130
vtkObject (01A9F02C): Destructing!

The error does not occur in a Borland C++ Builder (5 or 6) app having only one
vtkBorlandRenderWindow component.  In the case of an app with two such
components, when the app destroys the components, the first internal render window
successfully completes its Delete() while the second produce the above errors.
I'm unsure how to fix this for Borland users (including myself!).

Build details: shared libs, Borland compiler, MinSizeRel, CMake 1.8.1, Intel P4,
NVIDIA display card, Windows 2000 OS

Dean