[vtk-developers] Tests failing on Borland builds

Sebastien BARRE sebastien at barre.nom.fr
Mon Dec 8 15:38:55 EST 2003

At 12/8/2003 03:20 PM, Ken Martin wrote:
>I can live with FLOAT_MAX or honestly -1 1 just as well. The only thing to
>be careful of is that some codes look at the values to determine if they are
>initialized. So if the initialization of the bounds is changed to FLOAT_MAX
>the matching code must also be changed to consider FLOAT_MAX as the
>uninitialized value.

Yes but you really don't want to do that, it's kind of sad to rely on
hard-coded values and duplicate them all over, it's bad practice. If Ken
was here, he would be angry abo... oh wait, who posted that ? :)

Maybe we could add a predicate method:
         int AreBoundsInitialized();
and a symmetric method to unintialize bounds:
         void UnitializeBounds();

By doing so, we would encapsulate those hard-coded values in only one
specific place.

Or eventually make those methods static in vtkMath and pass an array of
something representing the bounds to test or uninitialize, in case you just
want to have a local variable "bounds"  and unitialize it, say:
int vtkMath::AreBoundsInitialized(double bounds[6]);
int vtkMath::UnInitializeBounds(double bounds[6]);