[vtk-developers] proposition: disabling interaction in vtk3DW idgets, API addition

Charl P. Botha c.p.botha at its.tudelft.nl
Tue Sep 24 03:36:06 EDT 2002

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 10:02:26PM -0400, dean.inglis at on.aibn.com wrote:
> ok, how about one of the next two sets ?:
> a)
> void SetInteraction(int)
> int GetInteraction(void)
> void InteractionOn(void)
> void InteractionOff(void)
> b)
> void SetInteractionEnabled(int)
> int GetInteractionEnabled(void)
> void InteractionEnabledOn(void)
> void InteractionEnabledOff(void)

I would go for the first set.  I initially went for the second to eliminate
any possible ambiguity with things like "SetInteractor()", but after more
thought it's definitely set a).

Prabhu said:
> > I agree with Charl here but one additional point. The Enable/Disable()
> > methods seem to have names that are not proper VTK method names.
> > Something like EnabledOn, EnabledOff would be more consistent plus
> > tools like vtkPipeline would handle this nicely. :)

The Enable()/Disable() methods have unfortunately been there for quite a
while (part of the vtk3DWidget API) and have little to do with these new
changes, although I agree entirely with your sentiment.