[vtk-developers] Wrong comments in C files? Testing dashboards

Andy Cedilnik andy.cedilnik at kitware.com
Fri Sep 20 17:37:34 EDT 2002

Hello!

I was trying to build wxWindows on Sun using Sun's C++ compiler and I
found a whole lot of problems with this. The most simple one is that
when compiling --with-x11, compiler dies because some C files have C++
style comments. I am amazed that nobody complained about this yet, since
there are several compilers that do not like that. Sun's C compiler is
one that does that by default.

In any case, here is the list of:
find ./ -type f -name "*.c" | xargs grep -l "//"
Some of them might not be the problem, but hey, it is a place to start.

As a side note, (I know you guys hate me by now, but) what wxWindows
needs is a dashboard of tests. Let me explain what that is:

Take group of computers and let each one each night do cvs update, build
wxWindows, run couple of tests and record problems (compile errors,
compile warnings, and failed tests) and upload them to some central
repository. This way you can look at this repository every day to see if
somebody broke something.

As an example of this, please look at:
http://public.kitware.com/dashboard.php
This is a dashboard for the VTK toolkit we are developing. Each line
represents one computer configuration and you can then browse builds,
tests... We use software called Dart
http://public.kitware.com/Dart/HTML/Index.shtml . Dart consist of Tcl
client and Tcl/Java/Perl/Web/Ftp server. I would suggest wxWindows
community adopts Dart or similar tool for testing, since it will
definitely reduce the amount of problem people have when building
wxWindows.

Dart goes hand in hand with CMake, but it can be used without. I would
be willing to setup the client side and explain how to setup the server
if people are interested.

			Andy Cedilnik
			Kitware Inc.

P.S. FYI, here are the offensive files:

./contrib/src/xrc/expat/xmlparse/xmlparse.c
./src/common/cwlex_yy.c
./src/common/cwy_tab.c
./src/gtk/win_gtk.c
./src/iodbc/result.c
./src/mac/gsocket.c
./src/mac/morefile/DirectoryCopy.c
./src/mac/morefile/FSpCompat.c
./src/mac/morefile/FileCopy.c
./src/mac/morefile/FullPath.c
./src/mac/morefile/IterateDirectory.c
./src/mac/morefile/MoreDesktopMgr.c
./src/mac/morefile/MoreFiles.c
./src/mac/morefile/MoreFilesExtras.c
./src/mac/morefile/Search.c
./src/msw/microwin.c
./src/png/pnggccrd.c
./src/png/pngrtran.c
./src/png/pngvcrd.c
./src/regex/engine.c
./src/regex/regerror.c
./src/regex/regexec.c
./src/tiff/tif_zip.c
./src/x11/gsockx11.c
./src/zlib/deflate.c
./utils/Install/packace/globals.c
./utils/Install/packace/uac_comm.c
./utils/Install/packace/uac_crc.c
./utils/Install/packace/uac_crt.c
./utils/Install/packace/uac_dcpr.c
./utils/Install/packace/uac_sys.c
./utils/Install/packace/unace.c
./utils/Install/packzip/unzip.c
./utils/Install/packzip/win32.c
./utils/Install/sfxace/globals.c
./utils/Install/sfxace/uac_comm.c
./utils/Install/sfxace/uac_crc.c
./utils/Install/sfxace/uac_crt.c
./utils/Install/sfxace/uac_dcpr.c
./utils/Install/sfxace/uac_sys.c
./utils/Install/sfxace/unace.c
./utils/Install/sfxzip/unzip.c
./utils/Install/sfxzip/win32.c
./wxPython/src/libpy.c
./mybuild/_dist_dir/wxGTK-2.3.3/src/zlib/deflate.c
./mybuild/_dist_dir/wxGTK-2.3.3/src/regex/engine.c
./mybuild/_dist_dir/wxGTK-2.3.3/src/regex/regerror.c
./mybuild/_dist_dir/wxGTK-2.3.3/src/regex/regexec.c
./mybuild/_dist_dir/wxGTK-2.3.3/src/common/cwlex_yy.c
./mybuild/_dist_dir/wxGTK-2.3.3/src/common/cwy_tab.c
./mybuild/_dist_dir/wxGTK-2.3.3/src/png/pnggccrd.c
./mybuild/_dist_dir/wxGTK-2.3.3/src/png/pngrtran.c
./mybuild/_dist_dir/wxGTK-2.3.3/src/png/pngvcrd.c
./mybuild/_dist_dir/wxGTK-2.3.3/src/tiff/tif_zip.c
./mybuild/_dist_dir/wxGTK-2.3.3/src/iodbc/result.c