[vtk-developers] VTK/Python and Sun new discoveries

Andy Cedilnik andy.cedilnik at kitware.com
Fri May 24 10:57:36 EDT 2002

Prabhu,

I agree with you. I wish we could use python executable for vtk/python
and tclsh (or wish) for vtk/tcl. Unfortunately that will not work on Sun
using Sun's compiler and probably on HP,SGI,.... Please correct me if I
am wrong. The problem is that C++ code does not get initialized
correctly when the binary is compiled using C compiler and not C++ one.

As a test, please try this code:
from vtk.tk.vtkTkRenderWidget import *
root = Tk()
pane = vtkTkRenderWidget(root)

This will crash on all platforms where classes do not get initialized
properly. The funny thing is that all VTK python tests will pass. This
however is not the case with gcc, which does not have any problem with
this.

So, I think we should add vtkPython, which is just a wrapper around the
actual python library and does not include any code at all.

				Andy