[vtk-developers] A Widget Related Question

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Thu May 16 15:17:34 EDT 2002

Hi John-

At 01:44 PM 5/14/2002 +0100, John Biddiscombe wrote:

>Was there a specific reason why the polydata representations are
>shallowcopied rather than directly exported? (I'd like to simply use
>widget->GetPolyData() as it can be wrapped in GUI directly and pumped into
>another pipeline)

Yes, this is on purpose. The reason is that as the widget moves around it
is continuously updating its polygonal representation which modifies it,
and is almost invariably followed by a  render. Doing a GetPolyData() in
the manner of the pipeline would result in unacceptably slow interaction in
many cases.

>and is there any objection to exporting some implicit
>functions too?

Go for it.

Will