[vtk-developers] new method for vtkPlaneWidget

Charl P. Botha c.p.botha at its.tudelft.nl
Thu May 16 03:48:40 EDT 2002

Dear developers,

Maybe I should motivate.  If one wanted to use a vtkPlaneWidget as an
auxiliary interaction method, e.g. besides moving it along its normal by
dragging the middle mouse button when it's picked, one also wanted to
provide a UI widget elsewhere by which this motion of the plane could be
controlled, it would not be possible.

This is because it's currently NOT possible to change the position,
orientation and size of the vtkPlaneWidget programmatically.  One can
manipulate the underlying vtkPlaneSource with the provided calls but these
changes can't be realised as e.g. vtkPlaneWidget::PositionHandles is
protected.

I believe in the case of programmatic interaction that no callback should be
invoked, as the programmer is performing this modification.  However, this
could be added as option.

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 04:43:25PM +0200, Charl P. Botha wrote:
> I'm still on the topic of the 3d widgets.  Could somebody *please* add a
> public method to vtkPlaneWidget, something like the following:
>
> void vtkPlaneWidget::RealiseNewGeometry(void)
> {
>    this->PlaneSource->Update()
>    this->PositionHandles()
> }
>
> There is currently no way (AFAICS) to make a vtkPlaneWidget (AFTER having
> been activated) realise changes to the underlying vtkPlaneSource geometry
> that are performed with the
> vtkPlaneWidget::Set{Origin,Point1,Point2,Center,Normal} calls.

Thanks,
Charl