[vtk-developers] Threads on solaris

Bill Lorensen wlorens1 at nycap.rr.com
Wed May 15 20:15:01 EDT 2002

Folks,
About a year ago, Simon Warfield reported on this list that on Solaris, our threads were running serially rather than concurrently. Early this year, he reminded me that we still had the same problem. Using itk's multithreader code (which was derived from vtk's code) I verified Simon's statement on a ten processor Sun. Thread 1 would run, then thread 2 and so on. I added a pthread_setconcurrencycall and was able to verify that the threads ran concurrently.

Today, I finally got around to checking in the changes to vtk's multithreader. For non solaris users, there will be no change. However, solaris users that are running on multi-processors should see a nice speedup on those filters that are threaded.

Thank you Simon,

Bill