[vtk-developers] A few questions.

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Tue May 7 11:39:19 EDT 2002

hi,

I was planning to ask these questions on irc but unfortunately I had
no idea that you folks were not at GMT-500.  No one told me that I was
wrong despite two announcements.  Next time I think I have to hang
around on #vtk 2 hours before the time that was announced. :)

Anyway here are my questions.

  (1) As regards the Python black box tests what do I do?  Just go
  ahead and commit my first cut implementation or discuss it and then
  commit it?

  (2) Currently the code instantiates all the Python vtk classes,
  parses their methods, tests the Get/Set methods by doing something
  like:

        val = obj.GetMethod()
        obj.SetMethod(val)
        val1 = obj.GetMethod()

  and then asserting that val == val1.  Its trivial no doubt but is a
  start.  It then checks the boolean methods by setting the variable
  On and checking to see if it does go On similarly with the Off
  method.  The parsing step itself is useful in that it calls every
  GetMethod that is available.  Even these simple tests trigger
  segfaults on some classes (vtkLODProp3D, vtkPropAssembly and
  vtkRayCaster).

I'm sure these tests are not great but they should hopefully eliminate
silly bugs in the code.  At any rate they will help testing a
VTK-Python installation.

Right now the code does not use unittest or anything to do the
testing.  Its just simple code that runs through and prints a whole
lot of information.  I need to know what you folks would like me to do
or do I just go ahead, commit it (once the dashboard is green) so you
can run it and then offer suggestions for improvements?

thanks,
prabhu