[vtk-developers] Python package structure: proposed updates.

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Thu Mar 21 08:00:52 EST 2002

hi,

Several months back I committed a vtk package structure for the Python
packages.  I assume that most folks are happy with it because so far
no one has really complained about them.  I also noticed that some
folks are actively using the new package structure.

After the initial commit I didn't add the promised testing framework
code.  I didnt add the gui related code either.  I plan on doing this
sometime next week.  Here is my plan.  I'd like to know what you folks
think of it.

 (1) Move the gui related modules like so:

     vtk/tk/ -- All the Tk related widgets.

            RenderWindow.py
            ImageViewerWindow.py
            ImageWindow.py

     vtk/qt/  -- Qt.

            RenderWindow.py

     vtk/wx/  -- wx.

            RenderWindow.py

     vtk/gtk/ -- gtk widgets (when they are ready).

            RenderWindow.py

  I'm not sure if this is the right naming convention but consistency
  would be nice anad the package structure makes this pretty easy to
  do.

  (2) Change Wrapping/Python/*.py to use the new package structure.
  This way things are backwards compatible and the main code is in one
  place.  So vtkpython.py will simply do:

         from vtk import *

  Similarly for the rest.

  (3) Add a utils directory where I can put in the vtkMethodParser.py
  (I mailed this to the list a long while back) that can be used for
  the testing framework.  Other utility modules could go here.

  (4) Add a test directory where we can stick in a few tests for the
  Python wrappers.  Or does this directory belong outside the package?
  So we could have Wrapping/Python/vtk/, Wrapping/Python/test/ ?

I'd like to know what you folks think.  I'll only get to doing this
sometime next week so there is lots of time for discussion.

thanks,
prabhu