[vtk-developers] new vtkTextActor class and slight mapperchanges

John Biddiscombe jbiddiscombe at skippingmouse.co.uk
Wed Jun 12 12:00:11 EDT 2002

> I just find out that the new vtkTextActor duplicates the vtkTextMapper
API.

Indeed

> This means that now this API has to be maintained in *both* the textmapper
> and textactor.

I don't believe this is going to be a problem. The TextMapper API is not
subject to much change.

> In the long run, this might introduce a risk that they run out of sync.
> Painful.

I disagree. These classes are not complex and in my view the TextMapper
class is incorrectly designed. a "Mapper" should be responsible for
converting primitives into screen objects, the presence of all the options
in TextMapper is in my opinion a mistake. The Bold/Italic. Justification
options should be in the actor (or at least a "text" property) and the
Mapper should just do the donkey work of creating the relevant opengl calls
etc.

> Can you please get rid of these "forwarders"and provide a method to get
the
> mapper from the actor. Let's use the mapper API to do the usual stuff.

Does everyone think so? I guess since you have requested this, you must have
got a consensus from the Kitware folks already :( (boo hiss).

JB