[vtk-developers] New unified text mapper

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Sun Jul 14 05:04:26 EDT 2002

    SB> Hi (all dashboard maintainers, please update your VTKData)

Do you folks simply delete your entire VTKData and then reget the
whole directory or does CVS handle the data properly?

    SB> In an attempt to solve different problems and unify more
    SB> platforms, a new text mapper is now in use:
    SB> vtkOpenGLFreeTypeTextMapper

Very cool!  Thanks very much for this.  I haven't tested it or chacked
it out carefully but it sure sounds great.

The only problem I have is that the Utilities directory seems to get
larger and larger.  The approach of bundling png, jpeg, zlib, tiff,
expat and now freetype seems to fly in the face of using libraries
provided by the system.  Most Linux systems worth their salt ship with
jpeg/png libraries.  I dont know about other systems but shouldnt the
situation be similar?  CMake already deals with locating other
libraries.  So why not let the user pick the library rather than
bundling everything with VTK?  These are just thoughts, no hard
feelings. :)

cheers,
prabhu