[vtk-developers] vtkPowerCrustSurfaceReconstruction

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Thu Jul 11 13:11:34 EDT 2002

Actually we are both wrong.  I added incorrectly. It expires December
2004 not 2003. The 20 year rule is for patents filed after 1995.  I
included a brief desc below.

Ken

> I think the MC patent does not expire until June 2005. The
> current laws says 20 years from filing.
> Adnittedly, I am not a patent lawyer,
>
> Bill

How long do patents last?

Utility and plant patents issued since June 8, 1995 expire 20 years
from the date of application with the payment of maintenance fees.

Utility and plant patents issued prior to June 8, 1995 expire 17 years
from the date of issue with the payment of maintenance fees.

Design patent expire 14 years from the date of issue.

Patents are not renewable. Under special circumstances, a patent term
may be extended.

MC Issued - December 1, 1987