[vtk-developers] RE: unable to load packages

Volpe, Christopher R (Research) volpecr at crd.ge.com
Tue Jul 9 16:22:41 EDT 2002

Yep, and it screws up shell access within wish.exe as well (e.g. echo command). Furthermore, it
doesn't completely solve my problem, as installing another application just increased my path beyond
the breaking point again, regardless of what the memory limit is set in comspec (I increased it from
the default to 16384). It just doesn't want to concatenate the two vars if their combined length is
beyond a certain point. Getting rid of "path" and putting its contents in "Path" is a viable option,
but you also have to contend with the maximum length of any one environment variable. I did this, but
in order to squeeze everything in, I had to rename a few of the longer path components to their
shorter old-style equivalents (e.g. replace "Program Files" with "PROGRA~1" in a couple of places.)

-Chris