[vtk-developers] Abstract trouble today

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Sun Jul 7 05:00:07 EDT 2002

[virtual methods, BPL etc.]

    DG> This is one big reason why it is better to work with the
    DG> existing wrappers than to go to a totally different solution.
    DG> With the existing wrappers, it is possible to incrementally
    DG> improve them until they finally fulfill everyone's needs.  If
    DG> we go to Boost, there is no guarantee that the end result will
    DG> be better than what we have now (or that it will ever be
    DG> finished).

Yes, that is true.  Either way its some work and it looks like we
don't have the time needed to look at it right now.

[using existing wrappers]

    DG> It involves a fair bit of work, mainly generating a C++
    DG> subclass for each existing VTK C++ class that 'knows' about
    DG> python and that searches the corresponding python 'vtkclass'
    DG> object for overloaded virtual methods and calls them if they
    DG> exist.  Conceptually it is simple, but it would take a fair

I think thats just what BPL also does.

    DG> bit of time to implement and it would make the vtk/python
    DG> .dll/.so files a lot larger.

I'm not sure the .dll size would be a huge issue if the features are
worth it.  Unless of course if the libraries become way too large.

Anyway, it looks like we dont have the time to do this right away but
the good thing is that it is on our minds.  Someday maybe the dream
will become a reality. :)

cheers,
prabhu