[vtk-developers] GetReferenceCount no longer wrapped?

David Gobbi dgobbi at imaging.robarts.ca
Sat Jul 6 08:12:23 EDT 2002

Hi Prabhu,

The GetReferenceCount() method is part of the new vtkObjectBase
class, which is not wrapped by the python wrappers.  If you need
this method, then there are two options:

1) hack vtkWrapPython.c and add it as a hard-coded method, similar
   to what was done for the AddObserver method

2) move the run-time type checking code (IsA() and friends) from
   vtkObject to vtkObjectBase, which would make it possible to wrap
   vtkObjectBase with only a few minor modifications to the python
   wrappers

3) modify the python wrappers so that they don't rely on the
   run-time type checking methods in vtkObject

The first option is just 'scratching an itch,' it would provide
access to GetReferenceCount() but not to any other past, present
or future vtkObjectBase methods.

The second option would add more 'weight' to vtkObjectBase, and
would therefore require approval from Andy et al.

The third option would add bloat to the python wrappers and would
also make them a bit less efficient.

 - David