[vtk-developers] Abstract trouble today

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Sat Jul 6 01:15:01 EDT 2002

    DG> P.S. JB: I started wrapping abstract classes in python because
    DG> I had this dream that the python wrappers would eventually
    DG> support proper subclassing of all VTK classes, including
    DG> virtual method hooks and the whole bit.  Alas, it is still
    DG> just a dream.

It is still possible if we use the Boost.Python library (BPL) for the
wrapping.  Unfortunately, doing this is a pretty huge job and after a
while I gave up on doing it since I simply didnt have the time.  The
other problem with BPL is that it will add a few new dependencies and
also pose severe demands on the c++ compiler.

However, doing it directly, the way it is done currently, is also
possible.  What would it involve to add virtual method hooks and is it
easier to do with Python 2.2?

cheers,
prabhu