[vtk-developers] Containers and... String

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Jan 22 16:26:05 EST 2002

> If they are templated, then they are only usable within the VTK
> classes i.e. they can't be wrapped.  I suppose this is fine, but I
> would still like to see vtkCollection turn into a proper 'vector' type
> so that doing things like going through the list of all actors in a
> renderer wasn't such a pain.
I think the idea is that the containers are templated and for use ONLY in
implementing other VTK classes.  The containers should not be part of the
interface of any VTK classes, which removes the need for wrapping them.
Since each language (C++, Tcl, Python, Java) provides its own data
structures, there is no need to provide VTK versions to application
developers.  We merely would like to help VTK class developers avoid code
duplication while getting portable, efficient implementations of common
data structures.

-Brad