[vtk-developers] vtkGL2PSExporter: need feedback.

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Sun Dec 29 14:12:13 EST 2002

hi,

I now have a working vtkGL2PSExporter class that works fine for me
with a few useful options (DrawBackgroundOn/Off, DrawTextOn/Off,
LandscapeOn/Off and support for PS, EPS, and TeX).  I've managed to
setup my vtkLocal build to work nicely with gl2ps.  Thanks to whoever
wrote the vtkMy examples -- Sebastien?

Anyway, I think it should be easy for me to incorporate the class into
VTK.  I'll have to modify CMakeLists.txt in a few places.  So if no
one has serious objections to this I'll commit the code sometime and
see how it goes.

As I had mentioned earlier, none of the text appears.  I think one way
of handling text would be to modify the vtkTextMapper
(vtkOpenGLFreeTypeTextMapper?) so that when it is Rendering, if
VTK_USE_GL2PS is defined we simply call gl2psText(...) with the
appropriate text, font etc.  In order that this is done at the right
time we could add a static member to the class that is turned on only
when the gl2ps exporter is writing its data.  I'd appreciate if a more
experienced person with the text mappers (Sebastien again?) would care
to comment on this or discuss this with me sometime.

Thanks.
prabhu

p.s. I've also completed the translation of the Tcl example scripts to
Python.  There are 82 Python examples.  About 13 of the Tcl examples
are not translated because they create non-trivial Tk based GUIs.
I've left these alone.