[vtk-developers] VTK-Python: Numeric Array <-> ImageData.

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Sun Dec 8 23:41:45 EST 2002

Hi David,

    DG> Hi Prabhu, Thanks for the work.  Here are some comments:

Thanks for the comments.

    DG> 1) Since vtkConstants.py contains the same constants of
    DG> vtkSystemIncluces.h, maybe the vtk/__init__.py should do a
    DG> "from vtk.util.vtkConstants import *" so that people
    DG> automatically have access to these constants (just like they
    DG> do in C++)

Yes, I'll do this.

    DG> 2) There are a whole bunch of missing calls to
    DG> 'UpdateInformation' in vtkImageExportToArray (these were also
    DG> missing in the original code) before calls to GetWholeExtent()
    DG> etc.

I'm not too sure about where this goes.  I have too little experience
with the imaging pipeline but I'll try and add them where I see fit
and let you comment.

    DG> 3) Testing on multiple files doesn't make the test more
    DG> rigorous, the important thing is to have one test per data

I thought as much.

    DG> type (or at least the most common types: unsigned char, short,
    DG> unsigned short, float) and a test for multiple components.

    DG>    At minimum the tests should include: 1 test on unsigned
    DG> char greyscale, 1 test on short greyscale, 1 test on unsigned
    DG> char color

Hmm, I plead ignorance.  I can definitely learn a lot more about
imaging and then fix this but I think it would be nice if someone who
knows what to do takes a look.  Will you have the time?  If not maybe
point me in the right direction (even if its a Tcl example) and I'll
try.

 [4]
    DG> It would also be nifty if it checked for Numeric versions
    DG> greater than 20 and did the direct array->void* trick that
    DG> Berk mentioned instead of wasting memory by converting to a
    DG> string first.

I'll look at this.

Hopefully in the next couple of days I'll be done with items 1, 2 and
4.  3 is up for grabs.

cheers,
prabhu