[vtk-developers] oh no, not more vtkImagePlaneWidget

Dean Inglis dean.inglis at on.aibn.com
Wed Aug 7 09:11:33 EDT 2002

Hi all,

I thought I would post this in hopes of getting some design feedback.
Thanks to some insightful code from David Gobbi, I now have a working
oblique slicer that pushes, spins and rotates.  Interaction is accomplished
as in Atamai's Python-based code in OrthoPlanesFactory.py: picking the
corner of slice plane enables spin around the plane normal; picking on an
invisible 'left' or 'right' margin rotates the plane around one ortho axis
of the plane while picking a similar top and bottom margins rotates around
the remaining ortho axis.  I like the invisible margin approach as opposed
to using a graphical 3D arrow, as in vtkPlaneWidget, for example.  Currently
I am working out the design for plane representation when obliquely
positioning.  In my prototype, when the plane is rotated in a non-cubic
volume of data, the plane is not re-sized to fully occupy the bounding box.
I am considering doing something like Will's vtkImplicitPlaneWidget test so
that the plane is clipped to the bounding box (3D) of the image data.

Any thoughts?  You will likely see this committed sometime later this week.

Dean Inglis, Ph.D.
Clinical Research Unit
25 Charlton Avenue East, Unit 610
Hamilton, ONT, L8N 1Y2