[vtk-developers] vtkGenericRenderWindowInteractor

John Biddiscombe jbiddiscombe at skippingmouse.co.uk
Tue Apr 16 10:46:42 EDT 2002

> What if the interactor's events were named after what they do, not
> clicks, and the widget knows about mouse clicks.  At some layer, it
> seems we should not be talking about which button of which physical
> device when down or up, but rather what we want to be happening in the
> scene (either at a high or low level of abstraction).

I agree. (The original inception of the interactorstyles tried to use
"States" to begin and end a mode of operation, though this seems to have
gradually faded)

What might be elegant ....

Window<-InteractorStyle<-InteractionDevice<-User

the interaction device could route the mouse/key/other/etc presses to the
particular style of operation. The styles would lose the mouse/key up down
methods and the device take them over. Quite a tedious bit of work
really....

JB