[vtk-developers] vtkGenericRenderWindowInteractor

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Fri Apr 12 14:04:42 EDT 2002

hi,

    BH> I have just checked in the new class
    BH> vtkGenericRenderWindowInteractor.  This class will allow
    BH> wrapped languages to use the new vtkInteractorObserver, 3D
    BH> widgets, and old vtkInteractorStyles without needing a C++
    BH> class like vtkXRenderWindowTclInteractor.

[snip]

    BH> Are there any volunteers for Java and Python?

I just got the the Python-Tkinter widget working satisfactorily.  I am
not going to change the existing classes (vtkTkRenderWidget etc.) and
instead plan on adding a new set of classes that use the new
vtkGenericWindowInteractor.  This is because moving the old widgets to
the GenericRenderWindowInteractor will break backwards compatibility.

There are a few questions I have before I go ahead and commit the
code.

 (1) The name of the new classes.  Right now I am thinking of the
 following

     GtkVTKRenderWindowInteractor.py

     vtkTkRenderWindowInteractor.py

     wxVTKRenderWindowInteractor.py

 This is consistent with the existing widgets.  Is this OK?

 (2) The vtkXRenderWindowInteractor require the use of an Initialize
 and Start call.  However this is not necessary with the
 vtkGenericRenderWindowInteractor.  Also, SetEnabled has no effect
 whatsoever.  The reason is that the code in
 vtkGenericRenderWindowInteractor does not check for Enabled before it
 invokes the events.  Is this the way it is supposed to be or is this
 a bug?  I'd like to know what the correct behaviour is.

Thanks!
prabhu

p.s. Sorry about replying to the vtkusers list the last time round.