[vtk-developers] Multi block structured grid support?

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Fri Sep 28 11:57:39 EDT 2001

hi,

I was thinking of ways to support multi-block structured data for VTK.
This kind of data is frequently used by CFD users.  I did a search on
on the topic and the only relavant thread I got was the one here:

http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtkusers/2000-April/000648.html

David Marshall also expressed interest to develop a
vtkCompositeStructuredGrid class that treats multiple blocks as a
single data set.  I think this is an important thing to be able to do.

Would appreciate if someone who has done this lets us know about their
work.  Or if someone could *please* give me a few tips as to where I
should start looking to see if this is possible and how one may go
about doing this in the "right" way?

AFAIK, the parallel framework allows people to split their
visualization (and data) amongst different processors and yet treat
the visualization itself as one, i.e. the algorithms are applied to
the whole data and not to individual pieces.  So there is already some
kind of multi-block support across multiple machines.  Shouldn't it be
easy to use this to support true muti-block data?

thanks,
prabhu