[vtk-developers] CMake 0.94 released

Miller, James V (CRD) millerjv at crd.ge.com
Thu Sep 20 07:39:44 EDT 2001

> Made Debug the default configuration for windows.

It seems like the "default configuration" has changed backforth many times.  Do we feel like we have
a handle on why Debug should be the default build?

If CMake is only intended for developers, then I would agree that Debug is an appropriate default.
But if CMake is intended to be the build system for software that is distributed to end users, I
would think the default should be Release.  That way people could download the source to some system,
run CMake, compile, install and they would have an optimized version of the software on their system.