[vtk-developers] Fitting code and it's place in VTK

Sebastien BARRE sebastien at barre.nom.fr
Tue Sep 18 16:39:17 EDT 2001

At 18/09/01 16:08, David Gobbi wrote:

>It seems like there really should be some decent, modern, open-source
>numerical code out there somewhere.  But when I first went looking for
>some four years ago I didn't find anything, and it looks like the
>situation hasn't changed.

Same with me. The last time I checked for a NR open source package was in
november 2000, and I evaluated several free software : MRL, TIM, TXMATH,
ITL, TNT (at that time I was not aware of VXL). I even had a long
discussion with one of their authors to see how I could use them inside
VTK, but none of them was able to fit my requirements :(

I was basically looking for an implementation of conjugate gradients
methods in multidimensions (i.e. minimization) and I ended up hacking some
code of the Numerical Recipes book :( Slow, not portable, etc.