[vtk-developers] Fitting code and it's place in VTK

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.ca
Mon Sep 10 17:21:06 EDT 2001

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Blezek, Daniel J (CRD) wrote:

> 2) where/when/who would like to put some numerical code into VTK 4.0, in a similar way that png,
> zlib, and jpeg were bundled?
>   - this would eliminate the "Numerical Recipes in C" debacle that I just went through
>   - would give VTK uses a great deal more power to do things

I will again give my vote for the blas_lite, dlapack_lite, etc. that are
included in the Python Numeric package (http://numpy.sourceforge.net/).

The code isn't very pretty (most of it has been machine-translated from
fortran to C) but it is API-compatible with the optimized versions of
libblas that are available for many platforms, i.e. cmake can use the
optimized libblas if present, or link to blas_lite otherwise.

Another option is to include cblas and clapack themselves.  Again,
the code isn't pretty, but these are fairly standard tools and are
very well tested.

 - David