[vtk-developers] Bug: vtkTkRenderWidget.py.

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Wed Oct 31 11:50:36 EST 2001

Hi David,

    DG> Hi Prabhu, Did you recently upgrade your system?  We have the
    DG> same problem on on a RedHat 7.2 system, which has XFree86-4.1,
    DG> tcl/tk-8.3.3 and python-1.5.2.  For some reason tcl is looking
    DG> for "vtkTkRenderWidget.so" instead of looking for
    DG> "vtkTkRenderWidget" like it used to.

My system is constantly being upgraded.  I am running the woody
(testing) distribution of Debian.  I have the same versions of XFree86
and tcl/tk as you but am using Python-2.1 (which I built from source).

The reason I never saw this problem earlier was that I never wrote
code that would do Tkinter.Tk() several times.  I was trying something
out when this happened and wrote a small test program that shows the
problem.

    DG> A very simple fix is "ln -s vtkTkRenderWidget
    DG> vtkTkRenderWidget.so" but I don't know what caused the problem
    DG> in the first place.

Unfortunately, there isnt any vtkTkRenderWidget or
vtkTkRenderWidget.so present in the VTK 4.0 tree.  Its all rolled into
libvtkRenderingPythonTkWidgets.so and linking to that seems no use.

Will try to take a closer look at the problem.

prabhu