[vtk-developers] IMPORTANT: Attribute data changes (vtkScalars, vtkVectors etc)

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Thu Oct 11 00:37:54 EDT 2001

Hi,

    BG> VTK 4.0 is coming. If I don't do this by November 1st, there
    BG> will not be enough time to test the changes. Putting warning
    BG> messages is not enough because things can be missed if the old
    BG> code is still functioning. I know this because, although I was
    BG> trying to keep things functioning, when I removed the classes
    BG> from my local build, a lot of things broke.  Also, people keep
    BG> adding code which use vtkScalars etc. I have been maintaining
    BG> a separate VTK for a long time (I started making these changes
    BG> almost 8 months ago) and I want to be able to merge all my
    BG> changes at least a month before 4.0 is close to be released.

I understand, then if possible, how about making sources and binaries
of VTK 4.0-pre before doing this and delaying things a bit.  I can
manage to get around this problem myself.  But it really would be a
good idea to make things easier for the users and others.  You really
cant expect everyone to access VTK off CVS and then get Cmake too off
CVS and then build both etc. Dont you folks think so?

This is just a request.  No hard feelings. :)

prabhu