[vtk-developers] New vtk packages; suggestions reqd. for other modules

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Sun Oct 7 03:47:23 EDT 2001

hi,

Only the basic vtk libraries are supported currently by the new
modules.  Here are things to be discussed.

  (1) Testing: i have added a testing directory but it is empty right
  now.  I think we should only put modules that are useful to
  testing in here.  The actual tests should be elsewhere.  something
  like the following directory structure:

    ls <vtk_src>/Wrapping/Python
    vtk/
    tests/

  The tests will go in tests/ and the testing related modules in
  vtk/testing.  What do you say?

  (2) Interaction/widgets: As Sebastien said maybe its a good idea
  keeping the same name as in Tcl.  But again I need more feedback on
  this.  I plan on doing the following:

    vtk/interaction/
    vtk/interaction/tk/
    vtk/interaction/tk/ImageWindowWidget.py
    vtk/interaction/tk/RenderWidget.py
    vtk/interaction/tk/ImageViewerWidget.py

    vtk/interaction/gtk/
    vtk/interaction/gtk/RenderWidget.py

    vtk/interaction/wx/...
    etc.

  What do you think - would 'widgets' be better or 'gui' or is
  'interaction' fine.

  (3) As part of my current set of tests i use a parser for the vtk
  methods.  Maybe this should go into a separate utils directory?

    vtk/utils/
    vtk/utils/MethodParser.py
    vtk/utils/<other utilities>

  Again I need feedback on this.