[vtk-developers] const arrays in Set methods

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.ca
Wed Nov 28 17:11:45 EST 2001

I've just thought of a reasonable way to handle non-const array
parameters in the python wrappers.

The main problem with wrapping non-const arrays is that sometimes
(e.g. in GetXX(float x[3]) they are used to return values.  Usually
in cases like this there is a "float *GetXX()" method with a
corresponding hint but not always.

What the python wrappers can do is turn the tuple (or list) into an
array, pass the array to the C++ method, and (after the C++ method
has returned) check the array values against the original tuple or
list to see if any values have changed.  For every value that has
changed, a python SetItem() call will be used to change the list/tuple
value.  Trying to change the contents of a tuple will raise an exception,
which is exactly the desired behaviour.

This won't take much work to implement and will result in many more
methods being wrapped.  So I'll try to scare up some time to get it
done before 4.0 is released.

 - David