[vtk-developers] Packaging VTK 4.0 for linux (was Python packages: status, suggestions.)

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Fri Nov 16 09:42:12 EST 2001

    DG> Hi Prabhu, It seems that the main problem might be that VTK
    DG> just isn't well suited for an RPM.  Perhaps it would be better
    DG> to focus, at least for now, on a neat & tidy way to pack the
    DG> libraries, headers and other bits into a binary .tar.gz
    DG> distribution.

Indeed which is why I made a vtk-python tarball yesterday.  Actually
if we can work together on this it would be great.  When I get some
time I will try to separate the python and c++ stuff out and maybe add
the tcl stuff.

    DG> I used to think that an RPM for VTK was the 'right thing to
    DG> do' but I'm really not sure anymore.  Because of the size of
    DG> VTK, and because of the way it is organized, it just doesn't
    DG> seem right to try to shoehorn it into an RPM.

    DG> Not that I have anything against RPMs!  I just think that a
    DG> binary tar.gz package should take priority, because it will
    DG> provide a more flexible solution and will also be easier.

Indeed.  Will try to get things going.  I actually have a simple shell
script that builds the current vtk-python libs.  Will try to work on
it some more when I get the time.

thanks,

prabhu