[vtk-developers] Packaging VTK 4.0 for linux (was Python packages: status, suggestions.)

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Fri Nov 16 03:01:50 EST 2001

    >> Dan, have you started work on the RPM spec file?
    DJB>   Unfortunately, no, and it doesn't look like I'll get a
    DJB> chance to do that anytime soon.

Well, thats unfortunate.  I also dont have access to a machine that
has RedHat installed and setup for VTK so its hard for me to
experiment.  There are also some issues with the way VTK currently
installs things.  Here are some of them:

  (1) VTK creates a libpng.so and libzlib.so of its own.  This would
  be troublesome when creating packages under linux since
  libpng.so/libzlib.so is installed separately most of the time.  I
  notice that the jpeg library is now rolled into the libvtkjpeg.so.
  Could something like this be done for the other two?

  (2) All the libraries are currently installed in
  CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX/lib/vtk.  AFAIK, this is non-standard.  The
  libraries should go into CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX/lib/ no?  If not when
  packaging one would have to add this directory to /etc/ld.so.conf
  which is not so nice to do.

  (3) The python packages are little harder to install.  Since all
  Python modules of the form libvtkFooPython.so and they link to each
  other, we have to put these libraries inside a directory which is on
  ld's search path.  If we do this the python packages wont be able to
  see them.  One option is to make a link from

  CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages/vtk/lib*Python*.so
  to the place where they actually are.  What do you think of this
  approach?

  (4) How about the java packages - how do they install?? Any issues??

Thats all I can think of ATM.  Please let me know what you folks
think.

prabhu