[vtk-developers] planar image files

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.ca
Thu Nov 1 16:16:28 EST 2001

Hi All,

A student in our lab is digging into the Visible Human right now.
The data is planar RGB (as opposed to packed RGB) and we have to
do use vtkImageAppendComponents() to convert it to packed after
we load it.

Here's a quick question: has anyone written an ImageReader class for
files that are in planar format, or is there a trivial workaround
that doesn't involve the memory overhead of a vtkImageAppendComponents?

If not, how do people feel about adding SetFileFormatToPlanar() and
SetFileFormatToPacked() to the vtkImageReader2/Writer2?
(Making the change to the original vtkImageReader would be, ahem,
quite a lot of work).

 - David

  David Gobbi, MSc                       dgobbi at irus.rri.ca
  Advanced Imaging Research Group