[vtk-developers] Strange Python bug in latest CVS tree?

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
Thu May 31 15:26:42 EDT 2001

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:

> I just ran into this strange bug with the Python wrappers for VTK.

> The segfault seems to happen with the vtkProp class's method.
>
> Now, the build that I have was not made after a 'make clean'.  I just
> reconfigured and rebuilt it.  Can someone confirm if this is a bug or
> do I just need a make clean and a fresh rebuild?

A make clean will often fix these things, particularly regarding
the python wrappers.  You can just do a
  touch wrap/vtkWrapPython.c common/vtkPythonUtil.h
if you think that just the python build was messed up.

> Also, how do you folks know when to do a fresh rebuild and when not
> to?

Try configure + build, then if VTK segfaults, try a make clean.
If anyone knew exactly where the problems were, then the problems
would have been fixed by now ;)  I know that the python build gets
messed up sometimes, but I haven't recently dug through the makefiles
to try to fix them.

 - David