[vtk-developers] vtkOpenGLPolyDataMapper::RenderPiece

Lisa S. Avila lisa.avila at kitware.com
Tue May 29 09:50:29 EDT 2001

Hi Bob,

MakeCurrent must be called any time the window may have become uncurrent
(for want of a better term!) This can happen unexpectedly - and I actually
spent many hours on several problems tracking it down to an uncurrent window.

During the rendering process a prop may update, causing its mapper to
update. The mapper may get data that is pulled from another window -
causing that other window to become current. Or, a start / end method on
some filter may have a render call into another window (as is done with the
pipeline viewer)

If you think this is a serious issue, we can start keeping "global" state
information in the render window. You'll still make the 120,000 calls, but
they will simply check the current state and return if no MakeCurrent is
actually necessary.

Lisa