[vtk-developers] style : Holiday greetings and a present of VTK4.0

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
Fri May 25 10:06:44 EDT 2001

On Fri, 25 May 2001, Simon Warfield wrote:
> statement if blocks because it makes it easy to add a second line to e.g.
> print something out while debugging.

That's exactly how most of the un-bracketed blocks in my code got their
first set of brackets, back in the days before I "saw the light" and
started bracketing everything ;)  Call me a dinosaur, but I still find
print statements the best way to debug code.  I only use debuggers for
analyzing segfaults.

> See commandment 8 at http://www.plethora.net/~seebs/c/10com.html
>
> 8. Thou shalt make thy program's purpose and structure clear to thy
> fellow man by using the One True Brace Style, even if thou likest it
> not, for thy creativity is better used in solving problems than in
> creating beautiful new impediments to understanding.

Wow, it's been years since I read this stuff... thanks for the
reminder.

 - David