[vtk-developers] style : Holiday greetings and a present of VTK4.0

John Biddiscombe jbiddiscombe at skippingmouse.co.uk
Fri May 25 02:21:33 EDT 2001

>David Gobbi <dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca> wrote...

>Changing the coding style now would be a pain... actually filtering
>all the files into a new style wouldn't be too bad, but cvs diffs between

I would not advocate changing all existing files. Merely relaxing the
restrictions on current style so that we could write code a little more
legibly and contribute it.

>"Miller, James V (CRD)" <millerjv at crd.ge.com> wrote...

>Regardless of the what style is used, I think it is very important for the
>style to consistent.  VTK has a wide spectrum of users.  From the most
>experienced programmers to those that barely understand what an object is.

I can understand this point of view, but I do not believe that people
should always travel at the pace of the slowest. I actually believe the
current style hinders a good understanding of the code because of wasted
space. I'm also not convinced that even a beginner would have much real
difficulty in assimilating if statements of the style I proposed earlier.

Anyway. I've been voted the weakest link.

Goodbye ;)

JB