[vtk-developers] style : Holiday greetings and a present of VTK4.0

Sebastien BARRE sebastien at barre.nom.fr
Thu May 24 20:02:18 EDT 2001

At 24/05/2001 19:49, David Gobbi wrote:
>On Fri, 25 May 2001, Sebastien BARRE wrote:
>
> > Given the fact that my .emacs is 80 Ko large, you can guess that if I tell
> > you that my tab stops are 4 chars large, this is the truth :) And I even
> > don't have to deploy my elisp talent to do that :) :
> >
> > (setq-default tab-stop-list
> >                '(4 8 12 16 20 24 28 32 36 40 44 48 52 56 60 64 68 72 76
> 80))
>
>I added this in my .emacs file, and a tab character is still worth
>8 spaces, regardless.  So you haven't proven it to me yet.

David, you are evil :), you changed the question :). You were referring to
tab stops ! :) The tab-stop-list work perfectly, it really jumps at the
given position while inserting spaces (or tabs) if you test it in a
non-corrupted text-mode. Of course, in programming mode, it depends on what
your tab key has been bound to, as well as the indentation settings, etc,
you should check that.

The value of `indent-tabs-mode' will determine whether a real tab character
will be inserted, or the equivalent number of space. C-mode : when
inserting a tab, actually the function stored in the variable
`c-insert-tab-function' is called.

(setq-default indent-tabs-mode nil)
         and you will be fine for at least the first part. You can make it
local to a mode, of course, etc.

>  Take a
>look at your files in a binary editor, and see where the tab characters
>are.

Were I want them to be, i.e. every 4 spaces :)

Off-topic, me ?