[vtk-developers] New VTK directory structure and build process.

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Mon May 7 16:05:00 EDT 2001

I have an experimental VTK build tree that uses a new make process (CMake)
to build VTK on UNIX and windows.  It also contains the new VTK directory
structure. This is still at an early stage but you are welcome to take a
look at it and provide feedback. It can be obtained at

cvs –d :pserver:you at www.visualizationtoolkit.org:/vtk/cvsroot co vtknew

To build it there are (windows) directions in vtknew/CMake/CMake.doc

For UNIX basically just do the following (edited as necc)

*      ls
*      vtknew . ..
*      mkdir vtknew-linux
*      cd vtknew-linux
*      ../vtknew/configure
*      make

The build process is not complete right now but it should give you an idea
of where we are heading. Note that all of the VTK files in this tree are the
same as what is in the normal VTK tree. So if you edit vtkObject.h in the
vtknew tree it will be edited on the main tree as well. In the CVS server
they are symbolic links between the two trees so that changes in one tree
show up in the other for all shared files (which is most of them)

Ken