[vtk-developers] vtkIdType

Amy Henderson amy.henderson at kitware.com
Fri May 25 11:06:42 EDT 2001

Hi all,

Around Kitware, there's been some discussion fairly recently about making
it possible for vtk id's to be 64-bit instead of 32-bit.  This came up
because we've seen cases where we need more ids than can be stored with 32
bits.  When you configure vtk, there would be an option to use 64-bit vs.
32-bit ids.  The ids (point ids, cell ids, etc.) in vtk would be of type
vtkIdType, and we could use a typedef to set this to be 32 or 64
bits.  Exactly what the typedef does would have to be compiler-specific
since compilers don't agree on what to call 32-bit or 64-bit integers.

What do you think?

- Amy