[vtk-developers] Proposed vtk directory structure

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.ca
Thu Jun 28 11:54:15 EDT 2001

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, John Biddiscombe wrote:

> Who cares about the users. vtk is a complex library and "users" should be
> prepared to put in a few hours of background research. Finding a few
> examples involves doing some greps and reading the docs. If you really want
> to help the "users", then improve the docs.

I care because I work side-by-side with new vtkusers (a new batch every
few months).  The longer it takes them to get up-to-speed, the more of
my own time is required.  Many of them have limited computer experience
(much less 3D graphics programming experience) but they have a project
they're required to do with VTK.

The new VTK users outnumber us experienced users by a large factor.
And doing anything to make their lives easier actually means that I
have more time to work on my own projects.

> Make the directory structure the optimal from a maintenance and testing
> point of view. "Users" can always post to the list if they can't find
> something.

A user posting to the list can be ignored if you're too busy.  I have
users tapping me on the shoulder.  I'd rather things were structured
so they could find things themselves.

> Does this sound a bit too harsh?

Yes ;)

 - David